Response to COVID-19
As persons of faith, the board and staff of McAuley Ministries have been praying for our neighbors and community partners. As persons of faith, we are also called to action and to offer support during this unprecedented crisis stemming from the coronavirus pandemic. To that end, we have:
- Contributed to the Emergency Action Fund at The Pittsburgh Foundation.
- Contributed to the Critical Community Needs Fund at The POISE Foundation.
- Awarded emergency grants to our community partners who are on the front lines of providing food and other resources to our most vulnerable neighbors.
- Awarded an emergency grant to Pittsburgh Mercy for personal protective equipment and supplies.
- Partnered with Beyond the Laptops to supply 200 laptops to students in the Hill District, Uptown, and West Oakland.
- Partnered with Ujamaa Collective to produce and distribute 500 protective face masks to community residents.
- Re-purposed a catering contract from a cancelled event to provide 300 grab-and-go meals to residents of West Oakland.
- Provided support to Hug Me Tight Childlife Centers for supplies to comply with guidelines for re-opening the child care center.
- Upon request, converted program grants to operating grants to assist our community partners with immediate staffing and operational needs.
- Approved modifications and extensions to grant timelines and reporting requirements.
- Awarded a second round of emergency operating grants to community partners addressing needs on the front lines.
- Awarded grants to out-of-school time partners to support students during remote learning and the creation of learning hubs. Grants also supported providing personal protective equipment (PPE) and cleaning supplies needed for out-of-school time partners to re-open.
- Awarded grants to Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC) and Carlow University to support students who require food, rent, technology, and tuition assistance to continue their education during the pandemic.
Please do not hesitate to call or email if you have questions or concerns regarding your grant or services.
We share this prayer from the Sisters of Mercy:
God of Love and Mercy, we pray for our world – for all of us, each one now in some way impacted by COVID-19: but especially for those persons who are ill, those who have lost loved ones and those whose personal and work lives have been severely disrupted by the reach of this virus.
We give thanks for the tender care of the sick by doctors, nurses and health care workers, for the generous and willing service of volunteers and for the imagination and dedication of researchers seeking a cure.
We are grateful for those who share wise advice with us; those whose work creates healthy environments for us; those who put our needs before theirs, our safety before theirs, our well-being before theirs.
May we each be supportive of one another, considerate of one another and generous to one another in this difficult and uncertain time.