Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award
Now Accepting Nominations: 2021 Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award
McAuley Ministries invites nominations for the 2021 Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award. Named in honor of Sister Susan Welsh, RSM, retired president and CEO of Pittsburgh Mercy, and a founding board member of the McAuley Ministries Foundation, this award recognizes a resident of the Hill District, Uptown, or West Oakland who exemplifies the ideals of a “good neighbor” – compassionate; friendly; helpful; a willing volunteer; an organizer of neighborhood events; willing to devote time, talents, and resources to make his or her neighborhood a better place to live.
The Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award and a cash prize will be presented on an annual basis. McAuley Ministries will recognize the recipient during a community event. With the recipient’s permission, the award will be publicized through a news release, on the McAuley Ministries website, and through Pittsburgh Mercy social media.
- The nominee must have a proven track record of devoting his or her time, talents, and resources to make their neighborhood a better place to live.
- The purpose of the award is to recognize an individual resident who is working at the grassroots level to make a positive difference for his or her neighbors and community, beyond their day-to-day work responsibilities. The award is not intended for businesses or organizations.
- Pittsburgh Mercy, Bethlehem Haven, and McAuley Ministries board and staff members are ineligible for the award and are not permitted to nominate family members.
- Presidents, CEOs, and executive directors of community-based organizations are ineligible for the award and are not permitted to nominate family members.
- The Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award and a cash prize will be awarded on an annual basis during the month of June. Any tax liabilities associated with the award must be assessed and borne by the award recipient.
McAuley Ministries Foundation reserves the right to refuse entries that do not meet the eligibility criteria and nomination instructions. Entrants giving false or misleading information will be excluded or the award forfeited (if known post award).
How to Enter
- The letter of nomination should not exceed three pages:
- Please describe your relationship to the nominee. Include the personal knowledge that you have of the nominee’s qualifications for the award.
- Using specific examples, describe how the nominee has had a positive impact on his or her neighbors and community. Describe any actions this person has taken that go above and beyond his or her work responsibilities and other efforts in the community.
- Include at least one additional support letter from a member of the community
- Nominations for residents under the age of 18 must include documentation of parental approval (document where indicated on the nomination form).
- The nomination must include a completed nomination form.
Please submit the completed nomination form via email or U.S. mail by April 30, 2021 to:
McAuley Ministries Foundation
3333 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3109
Sister Susan Welsh Good Neighbor Award Recipients
2020 Mr. Christopher R. Roach, Jr.
2019 Ms. Edna Council