McAuley Ministries assists nonprofit organizations serving the Hill District, Uptown, and West Oakland to enhance their ability to fulfill their missions by strengthening nonprofit governance and leadership; strategic and business planning; program development; technology and information systems; management systems and practices; and financial resources. McAuley Ministries will also serve as a convener to encourage collaboration and strategic alliances for greater collective impact. Priority will be given to:
- Leadership development and growing the next generation of leaders.
- Strategic planning and program-specific planning to accelerate innovation.
- General operating support for mission-critical organizations that demonstrate the capacity to produce outcomes for residents and the community.
- Convenings that encourage strategic alliances and enhance collective impact; support for planning and operationalizing alliances.
- Limited capital funding for facilities and technology linked to programming and operational improvements that are consistent with our grantmaking priorities.
Stories of Hope
Oakland Planning and Development Corporation
T. grew up in South Oakland. After college, he returned to Pittsburgh with a desire to become more involved in his neighborhood, where he regularly volunteers. Unfortunately, this past year T., his mother M., and his three siblings were displaced from their affordable rental house. It is a common story; sometimes the rise in rent is sparked by requests for basic repairs; sometimes the landlord sells to another owner; and sometimes the landlord just realizes they could charge more renting to students.
M. and her children found themselves separated and couch surfing with friends and family members in the neighborhood.
Fortunately, with the help of a subsidy from Oakland Planning and Development Corporation, a community-minded seller, and a private lender who was willing to work with the family, T. and his mother were able to purchase a house through a buyer-initiated Community Land Trust transaction. Today, the family has a stable home and an opportunity to build equity.