McAuley Ministries supports initiatives that assist children residing in the Hill District, Uptown, and West Oakland to succeed in school, graduate from high school, successfully transition to and graduate from college, and/or successfully transition to work. Priority initiatives include:
- High-quality early childhood development.
- After-school programs with high-quality tutoring and enrichment activities.
- Initiatives to improve college readiness and the number of residents who graduate from college or other post-secondary education.
- Initiatives that address the social obstacles to academic achievement and college completion.
- Parent and community engagement to support educational equity and achievement.
Macedonia Family and Community Enrichment (FACE) Center engages families and the principals at Hill District schools to reduce chronic absenteeism and tardiness. The schools note an increased level of communication and ability to problem-solve with students and their families. Macedonia also identifies specific concrete needs of families, such as transportation, uniforms, and other needed supplies, and eliminates those barriers to school attendance.
The Center that CARES, Higher Achievement, Hill District Education Council, Neighborhood Learning Alliance, Schenley Heights Development, School 2 Career, The Thelma Lovette YMCA, and Allegheny Partners for Out-of-School Time (APOST) have formed the Hill Youth Partnership for Enrichment (HYPE), a collaborative to expand the number of youth enrolled in quality out-of-school-time programs, improve the quality of programming, and increase the number of youth who value hard work. Between 2014 and 2015, HYPE increased the number of youth enrolled by 13 percent, engaging more than 500 youth in HYPE programs. An study by the University of Pittsburgh’s Office of Child Development found that students who attended HYPE after-school programs more than 100 days over the school year perform at a higher level for school attendance, Grade Point Average, and Pittsburgh Promise-readiness, and have fewer suspensions.