McAuley Ministries supports initiatives that assist children residing in the Hill District, Uptown, and West Oakland to succeed in school, graduate from high school, successfully transition to and graduate from college, and/or successfully transition to work. Priority initiatives include:
- High-quality early childhood development.
- After-school programs with high-quality tutoring and enrichment activities.
- Initiatives to improve college readiness and the number of residents who graduate from college or other post-secondary education.
- Initiatives that address the social obstacles to academic achievement and college completion.
- Parent and community engagement to support educational equity and achievement.
Stories of Hope
Macedonia Family and Community Enrichment (FACE) – Girls Circle
Our 3rd and 4th graders represent a new age range for the program [Girls Circle] this year. It has been a true blessing to see how they are able to connect with the facilitators and the curriculum. One girl, a grudging participant at first, opened up after the winter break because Circle, she said, gave her a space to talk about what is going on. After seeing the way girls shared and the fact that facilitators listened and valued what girls were saying, she felt like she could trust the program more. In another instance, facilitators made sure that the content of a collage project (pictures, magazines, etc.) was culturally relevant to the girls. As facilitators were taking girls back to their classroom after Circle, one of the young ladies ran up excitedly to her teacher. She had seen a Black female doctor in one of the pictures and included [the picture] in her collage. The teacher reported that this student had never before expressed any goal beyond the neighborhood previously.